Congratulations! You have just landed on the step by step guide to help you plan your first family safari to Africa. In fact, these are the top tips for travelling in Africa with your family.
With practical tips for families with children, planning to visit Africa, here are insider tips from our experts to make the most of your time in Africa. So if you are planning a ‘Family Safari to Africa’, you are in for a real treat. The continent is gorgeous while at the same time wild and even adventurous more than you can imagine.
To make Africa even more perfect for families, this continent is exceptionally hospitable, warmly and friendly where you are likely to find the welcoming faces wherever you go. On top of that, Africa is also the perfect destination when it comes to catering for children and families. The beauty of Africa will undoubtfully make your African Safari even more enjoyable.
By the end of this post, you will feel better equipped to plan for a trip to Africa that would be easy, fun and thoroughly enjoyable to your family.
That is only if you’ll follow these tips!
1: Decide on the Destination to visit
One of the misconceptions most people have about Africa is that it is just one huge country. Well, they couldn’t be more wrong. In fact, Africa has a total of 54 independent countries. While visiting all at a go is next to impossible, you need to choose a few countries to start with. Or you may just choose one destination based on your budget, interests, time and et cetera.
Choosing the best African country to visit with a family for a safari might not be the easiest pick. However, SafariBookings has come up with a solution to help you on this.
They conducted an in-depth of 3061 reviews of safari tourists and acclaimed experts voted Tanzania as the Best Safari Country in Africa.
SafariBookings’ Ratings for the 8 major safari countries
|Country||Ratings by Experts||Ratings by Users|
This is what we like more about Africa, it is full of options!
So the first thing we would like you to do in this guide is choosing your safari destination. If it is your first time, well, go with the best, Tanzania.
When choosing for your destination look for the following:
- Destination safety
- Scenery richness
- Reputation of the country towards visitors
- Lack of dangerous diseases.
Looking at the above 8 Africa destinations, all are almost safe to visit, free from dangerous diseases like Ebola, they are perfect for wildlife viewing, and they have a reputation of treating customers nice.
So in case, you don’t go to Tanzania, feel free to choose the other 7 destinations. Your Africa family trip won’t fall short.
2: Know the Best Time to Visit
When you are travelling with kids, chances are, you are worried that during the school holidays which is the best time for you and your family might not be the best to go to Africa. You may think that you have a limited choice when to go to Africa. Well, you don’t have to worry.
School holiday worries and other worries of the like are not necessarily a problem. Africa can be visited all year round.
The exception may only arise if you have some specific interests, but if that is not the case, school holidays should never be your worry. So the challenge may only arise when a family has got some specific interests that are not available all year round.
There are those who like to see Wildebeest Migration in Serengeti, and they specifically want to see the Wildebeest crossing Mara River. In this case, for example, one should visit Tanzania in August, September and October. This makes it so important to figure out your interests and special wishes before planning to travel to Africa with your family.
3: Find the Right Safari Operator
Getting the right tour operator is absolutely important and honestly, you should make sure you get this one right.
Remember, this isn’t just a solo trip. This is about your family, probably younger kids included. In other words, if you mess up on one aspect of planning your Africa family trip, it will directly affect your family as well. Don’t allow this, not for something you and your family have waited for so long. And do not forget, a Family Safari is an investment, both your money and time.
This is why it is extremely important that you plan for your Africa Family safari with an African safari specialist company. To find the best safari company, here are the tips:
- Look for a company with a good reputation. To do this best, find out if they have been awarded any accolade by TripAdvisor, their ratings by SafariBookings and their general reviews.
- Also, try to find out the conditions of their vehicles. Here, forget the number of vehicles, maintenance is the Key. You can do this by asking the company in question.
- Trust of the company. If the company has affiliations with other national and international organizations within the industry, chances are they are trusted. You can find this on the website, most commonly at the bottom (footer) of the company’s website.
- You should also never forget that the local knowledge is the Key. In this case, try to find out the tour guide a company is going to give you in your Africa Family Safari.
- Another important tip is health safety and secured payments. Make sure the company tells you their health measures in case of emergency as well as giving you different secure payment methods.
- A company should comply with the industry rules both locally and internationally depending on the country of operations.
Support is the key — a good company should give you the support you need in all stages of your Africa Family Safari planning. That is before you touch the land in Africa and after you fly back home.
3: Let a Safari Company Know All Your Wishes
After finding the best match for you in terms of a Safari Company to travel with to Africa, the next step will be talking with your safari planning specialist.
Yes, after you have found the perfect company for you, chances are you are going to be assigned to a certain safari/trips planning expert who will be happy to help you with anything that will be crucial for travelling in Africa with your family. Do not hide anything at this point. Tell your safari expert everything you think is crucial for your family trip satisfaction.
While there may be a lot to share with your safari expert, don’t forget to ask and get information about the following:
- Let your safari expert know ages of your kids.
- Ask for the minimum age allowed on an Africa Safari. This might be different depending on the country and company you have chosen.
- Any vaccinations needed for both kids and adults.
- Availability of comfortable accommodation for the kids.
- Most kids like swimming. Ask for properties with swimming pools.
- Anything else you think might be the interest of your family in general, just share…anything, you know!
4: Get the Foods right
Again, do not feel shy to tell your operator what you would prefer for meals while you are on the trip. If you have specific dietary restrictions, for example, share away. Most safari companies will be happy to help you organize with hotels in getting you the right meals to your satisfaction.
You may try local food as well. In Tanzania for example, there are varieties of local foods which have attracted most visitors. Mchuzi wa pweza, Ugali, Biryani, a mixture of chips and Eggs, Mishkaki, Octopus, Cassava, Urojo, Coconut Bean Soup, Durian and Mandazi are local foods you may like to test. If your family has among those foodie folks, Africa is going to give you joy for the eyes and the palate.
5: You don’t have to worry
Well, this fifth tip for travelling in Africa with your family is aimed at insisting the two previously mentioned tips.
When you have got the best safari company and you also have done your homework on expressing everything you and your family would need, there is more than 90% guarantee that you’ll have a trip to suit your family.
The concept here is, a good company likes to make its customers happy. They would like to maintain a good reputation and protect their public image.
So combining the good conducts by good company with the great information you are going to provide to your safari expert, a safari of a lifetime experience is all guaranteed.
Other tips that you may inquire in advance, from a Safari Company of your choice are:
- Vaccinations required (depending on the country you choose)
- Tipping guidelines
- Visa information
- Advice on International flights
- Money guideline for a particular destination
- Photographing guidelines
- Public holidays for a particular country
- Communications in a particular country
- Food and drinks
- A guide to Crafts and Shopping
- Crime levels and safety measures
- Health guidelines
Family Safari: Your Take
At this point, you now know how much it matters to travel with a company with a good track record of taking care of its customers. Choosing a good company is of paramount importance.
A good professional local operator should act as your personal resource to getting all the necessary details you need to have a perfect safari trip.
The most important thing is ‘make sure you make a safari company of your choice aware of all your wishes for the safari’.
Upon arrival in Africa, your Tour Operator will give you further details and help on your trip.
- 6 Best Lakes to visit in Tanzania
- Best Places to See Dolphins in Zanzibar
- A Comprehensive Guide to African Wildlife Photography
- The Guide to Tanzania Photographic Safaris
- Covid-19: Tanzania Safari Safety Measures
- Which is the Best Safari Country in Africa? The African Travel Guide
- Why is Tanzania the Top Safari Destination in Africa
- What are the Best Places to go on safari in Tanzania?
- Perfect Timing: When is the Best Time to Visit Tanzania?
- Best Places to Celebrate Christmas in Tanzania
- Best Time to See the Great Wildebeest Migration
- Family Safari: Top Tips for Travelling in Africa with Your Family
- What to Pack for Tanzania Safari? A Complete Packing List